FSC was established in November of 1930 as the Shelby County Farm Bureau Service Company in association with the Iowa Farm Bureau. Common stock went for $5 per share. The new company specialized in petroleum products delivered by four drivers from bulk plants in Harlan, Shelby, Manilla, and Defiance.
In 1950, members voted to adopt the new name of Farm Service Cooperative (FSC). By 1953, the cooperative’s board and members agreed it was time to diversify in agronomy services. So, in 1955, FSC spread the first load of bulk commercial fertilizer used in southwest Iowa. Members again voted to expand in 1959 when FSC entered the feed business using the trademark name Nishna Valley Feeds.
In the mid-70’s FSC built its concrete elevator in Denison; this joined the concrete grain elevator which was built in Harlan in 1960. In 1985 FSC purchased the Manilla Grain Terminal. A concrete elevator was also built in Atlantic in 1990. The Manilla and Atlantic facilities would become part of an LLC which FSC had with ADM. In 2008 FSC sold its interest in that grain LLC to ADM.
Over the years FSC has experienced external growth also. During the 1980 – 1985 period FSC purchased the assets of the Persia Co-op, the Westphalia Co-op was merged into FSC, and FSC purchased the businesses of Irwin Farm Supply and Ahrenholtz and Sons in Defiance. In 2009 FSC purchased Leinen, Inc. of Portsmouth. In 2017 FSC purchased the propane business of Harvey’s Oil in Manilla and the agronomy center at Oakland, Iowa from Landus Cooperative. In 2018, FSC purchased Halbur Oil in Halbur.
Today, in six contiguous southwest Iowa counties, FSC serves farmers, commercial and professional customers, and local consumers through its four divisions: agronomy, feed & grain, energy, and computers. Find your nearest FSC location.